Friday 7 August 2015

School Playground

 'School Playground'
Watercolour & Gouache
66 x 50cm
After working on other jobs and taking a week off to teach a summer school course, I have finally finished 'School Playground'.

I'm pleased with the overall result but I do think I could have developed the relationship between the characters and first school further. Maybe by depicting a young animal going through the doorway or a few heads poking out of the windows? I'm not sure, but it is certainly something I will keep in mind for future similar paintings.

Enough of the internal soul searching... here are some pictures showing my progress.
Rough Drawing
Concentrating on the background after finishing the sky and trees
For this passage I was closely copying a photograph I had taken a few days previously
School finished, working on the playground now.
Bit by bit I worked through the characters
Keep painting...
... and painting
... and finally pull out the gouache paints.
The school is based on the old Corsham Primary school which is now the Pound Arts Centre - where I have my studio! Next door to me are two other artists, the superb Penney Ellis and the extraordinary Caroline Rudge. We have an open studio every Monday, so please feel free to drop by and say hello if you are in the area.

See if you can spot any of these animals in the playground. The two young rabbits might be hard to spot.

No comments: