Thursday 12 September 2013

The Orator

 The Orator
Watercolour / Gouache
24 x 31cm

Hot off the easel, watercolour painting finished and scanned this morning! 

I had a bit of trouble with the values in this painting. I have attempted to increase them on Mr Toad while letting the background level out slightly in the hope that the main character will stand out sufficiently. Now, that's not easy to do when you have an open fireplace crackling merrily in the background as it forces you to develop contrasts so the flame look suitably bright. A lesson learned I think.

In terms of process I did the usual sepia watercolour under-painting, glazed local colour then worked the values in watercolour. Finally I added mostly highlights with gouache but I did darken his velvet lapels with a deep brown umber gouache paint.


3 comments:

Carmen said...

Very nice Chris.

Angelsdoor * Penny said...

Hi Chris,
I think you accomplished what you set out to do here.. It is fantastic! Love it.
fondly,
Penny

Chris Dunn said...

Thanks, Carmen and Penny. I'm glad you both like it.